Another 14 individuals were detained under ‘Operasi Bulls Eye’ conducted by the Narcotics Control Bureau, NCB at 4 separate locations in the Belait District on the 2nd of April. The 12 men and 2 women are between 26 to 53 years old. One of them is a permanent resident, while the rest are locals.
Inspection on the detainee’s vehicle and residence found controlled drugs namely Syabu, a Class A drug weighing 2.3 grams. Although the amount of drugs found this time was not significant, the raid aimed to foil drug trafficking activities believed to have a connection with the family drug trafficking syndicate network apprehended in a recent operation. The drug trafficking activities in Belait District were believed to have been disguised as fishing and fish selling activities to obscure the authorities. The NCB also seized drug paraphernalia, mobile phones and three vehicles believed to be proceeds from the drug trafficking activities.
The suspects are still under investigation under:
– Section 3A of the Misuse of Drugs Act, MDA, Chapter 27 which is the offence of drug possession for the purpose of trafficking;
– Section 3 of the Criminal Asset Recovery Order 2012 for the offence of money laundering;
– Section 6(a) of the MDA, Chapter 27 for the possession of controlled drugs;
– Section 6(b) of the MDA, Chapter 27 for the consumption of controlled drugs;
– Section 7 of the MDA, Chapter 27 for the possession of items believed to be drug paraphernalia; AND
– Section 10 of the MDA, Chapter 27 for abetment of offences under the Misuse of Drugs Act, Chapter 27.
The NCB will not stop in its efforts to eradicate existing drug networks in the country, and will not compromise with any parties involved and abetting the illegal activities. The NCB also warned that any person who abets the commission of or who attempts to commit or does any act preparatory to or in furtherance of the commission of any offence against the Act shall be guilty of such offence and shall be liable on conviction to the punishment provided for such offence.
Source: Radio Television Brunei